Friday, July 19, 2019

On Parenting

Being parents, you need to be prepared. I warn you. You know why? I give you example. I was so surprised when my son, out of the blue asked me, “Mom, what if I am bisexual?”

He was 13 by then. In his early teenager life. 

Oh yes, this is not his first surprising questions. As a boy who is growing up in modern world, he is exposed to so many things. So there was time, he was six, he already asked about the function of  condom after he found one in my drawer. Can I explain? Sure, with shacking hands that I covered very well.

I remembered I answered by explaining that condom is only for a man. “I am a man,” he said. “I mean, for adult,” was my closure. He seemed a bit confuse, but he didn’t ask anything further. 

That is the moment I assure myself to be well prepared about any “cute” questions he may ask along the way. And as his parent, I have to have a ready weapon in hand, whether I am ready or not to answer. So I read all the things regarding boys, kids, teenagers. Anything they might be interesting in suddenly matters to me. 

Why do I feel I need to be prepared? Not only because I want him to get the best answer, but also because I need him to know that even I am his parent, I can be his best friend too. Best friend he can count on, to whom he can go to seek any answer for any question, or later for any problem he may encounter. I may not always give him best solution, but I need him to know that I will always be there. 

So when he came up with his bisexual question, I thought I was ready with my answer. I read somewhere about the key to discuss sexual orientation, in a religious newsletter. But then something crossed my mind, will it be okay if  I use that answer? The explanation I read was merely about growing up, the pain any kids need to go through, the “right way” to be a girl or a boy, and something like that. Things which base on common belief that pink is the color for girl while blue is only suitable for boy.  Will that be okay for my son? I think I need to find the right word. Not only because I want him to understand about the sexual orientation well, but also because I do not want him to feel rejected, if, only if he is indeed bisexual like he said he is. 

And right there and then, I suddenly realized that to be prepared being a parent did not only mean you have to be ready with things related to house you can call a home, the meal, the tuition, and health insurance for your kids. As a matter of fact, become a parent, you have to be prepared to accept your children as they are. And still love them as they truly are. 


(This is the piece I wrote for my smart living writing class today)

No comments: